ASUS RT-AC88U WiFi and AirPrint wireless printer problem solution

The ASUS RT-AC88U is a pretty awesome router. However, out of the box, it’s a bit finicky if you try to print to it via WiFi or Apple’s AirPrint. It doesn’t seem to want to maintain the connection. I stumbled across this somewhat cryptic post and the suggested changes have solved my issues–at least so far. Here are the steps with a little more detail:

1. First log into the router’s settings.

2. Choose Wireless > Professional tab

3. Make the following changes:

-Modulation Scheme: Up to MCS 9 (802.11ac)
-Airtime Fairness: Disable (NOTE: According to one reader, this is the only change that matters, so try this first. Thanks Dan CC!)
-Multi-User MIMO: Disable (Note that this was already disabled by default for me)
-Explicit Beamforming: Disable
-Universal Beamforming (5 GHz only): Disable

Click Apply button.

4. Each of the Bands (i.e., 2.4GHz and 5GHz) have their own independent set of settings on this page. So, change the Band and repeat Step 3.

5. Finally, change the Control Channel to a specific channel (i.e., something other than Auto). Again, apply the change for one band, change the Band setting, and apply the change for the other band.

I’m not sure what real-world impact changing these settings has on the router’s performance; however, I haven’t really noticed any significant difference…other than my printer works wireless now ;-)

Comments

Andreas

After 3 hours of searching to fix this problem, I found your solution and the issue wasfixed in 10 minutes. Thank you so much to post this solution.

spice3d

You’re welcome Andreas. Glad it worked.

Tevfik

A million thanks!!! I was able to print and scan with HP Smart app using direct IP configuration but every time I re-start the app printer was shown as offline. I had to delete and reconfigure the printer repeatedly.
I blamed HP, Windows 10, Windows Firewall but never thought that my beloved Asus RT-AC88U would be the problem.
If it wasn’t your post, I was about to replay the famous printer destroying scene from the movie ‘The Office’ :-)

spice3d

You’re quite welcome… I’m sure your printer is relieved.

Mark Cavallucci

Thank you so much. I can now use my HP Printer with this awesome router. THANK YOU.

spice3d

You’re welcome Mark!

Daniel

many thanks! after 1yr of trying, I can use Airprint on my Dell Printer. THANKS!!!

spice3d

I know the feeling Daniel. It’s like magic. You’re welcome.

Paul

Finally! Wireless printing with my HP printer – Thank you! It’s been years! Like Jeff and John I bought (and returned) two printers before giving up. Thank you for revealing this setting. Under “MAC Filter Mode” I thought I was white-listing my printer and accidentally blocked EVERYTHING else. Figured that out, and now up and running!

spice3d

You’re welcome Paul. I totally understand the feeling.