Tire pressure sensor issue for 2008 Lexus RX350

The tire pressure monitor sensor (TPMS) light had been illuminated for a while on my 2008 Lexus RX350 even though all my tires, including spare, were at or higher than the recommended PSI. I scoured the web for a solution, but it took me a long time to sift through the many forum posts and actually find one.

There’s actually many things that can cause the problem. I’m posting the information below to help out the legions of other RX350 owners looking for a nice concise solution to this irritating problem.

1. Make sure the Main/2nd button, underneath the dash on the passenger side, is set to Main (this is the “out” position of this push button.) This can easily get accidentally pushed in by a passenger’s leg. If you are wondering what this switch does, it’s for people that have two sets of tires with pressure sensors on both sets. This might be for a set of snow tires, for example.

2. Inflate all tires to at least 33psi.

3. Make sure you inflate the spare tire too.

valvestemcaps

4. Make sure you have aluminum valve stem caps on all tires including the spare. Don’t use plastic or non-aluminum metal caps. Other metals can actually fuse to the stems over time! You can probably get them at the dealer, but I bought some on Amazon like these.

5. Press the TPMS reset button underneath the dash on the driver side. There are two buttons near each other and it’s the one on the left.

Well, I hope this information helps someone. The Main/2nd switch is what tripped me up and it wasn’t mentioned on most of the forum posts I read.

UPDATES:
2016-01-06 – Added picture of the Main/2nd button.
2015-07-20 – Since the Main/2nd button is often the culprit, I moved that from #5 to #1 :-D
2015-10-12 – Amazon doesn’t carry the original caps I bought so I substituted the link and photo to some similar looking ones.

Comments

Ranse

Tom – what did you do with the tape to fix the isue??

Irakli

Thanks for such a comprehensive solution! after spending 1 hour searching solution in Internet Forums, your post really solved the issue. It appeared to be – in “out” position button. One push and everything as it should be.

Many Thanks one more time

Tom

Update from above regarding my failure to fix.
I fixed it and the light is off.

1) All tires, including the spare, must be properly inflated.

2) Make sure button under glove box is in “out” position

3) Engage parking brake

4) Turn key to “on” (dash lights up; do not start engine)

5) Of the 2 bottons under the drivers side dash, push and hold the left button until the TPMS light blinks 3 times.

6) Release the button and wait!

7) Do nothing but wait. Perhaps 2 to 3 minutes. The light will turn out and the problem is solved.

Note: There are 2 buttons under the drivers side dash (left hand drive cars). The right on lights the “anti-skid control” indicator on the dash. I assume this warns you that it is turned off. The left is the TPMS reset button.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

Tom

Dear Spice 3D,

Yes, sorry. All 5 tires are at 30 psi. In my first RX the spare was always the problem. Not this time.

I did try the buttons again today with the motor running. The problem persists.

I’m curious if others get a flashing TPMS indicator if the press and hold the left botton under the steering wheel.

Tom

Dear Spice 3D,

The button under the glove box is “out”. I pushed the left botton under the steering wheel. Nothing.
The right button turns on the anti-skid control.
I pushed and held the left button. It blinked. Then returned to “Lite”.
I combined buttons at different positions at various times. Nothing works. The TPMS light remains on. Any other suggestions?

Thank you!

spice3d

Tom: Did you make sure your spare is inflated properly?

BIG Bob

YOU ROCK Spice 3d!!

mark

ive had that light on for over a month and ive checked my tire pressure a few times just to make sure they are within what should be, never thought to check the spare…..

ky

You are a life saver…. Thanks

rose

thanks a lot. my light was on for a year and i thought my
sensor was bad. Inflating the spare tire turned off the light.

Lisa

Thanks so much for your post. Finally found out that my spare tire was low on air. After days of struggling with the reset button, it finally cleared thanks to your post. Thank you so much!

Ed

I had slow leak and took a few days to correct, it became a flat and sensor light was on. I went to tires dealer to get new tires hoping they could reset the light, they could not reset it. The Lexus book said go to Lexus dealer to have system checked and reset.
Thank you for your research, the button under the glove compartment save me some money.

Tracie

Thishas been driving me batty. Just went out and fixed it in 30 seconds! Thanks so much!!!

Cathie

Can’t even begin to thank you. this was an irritating thing for over a year and no one could figure it out except to tell me there was something wrong with the electronic module. No telling how much that would have cost!!

spice3d

Yeah, I know what you mean Cathie. I really don’t know why Lexus had to make this one thing SO difficult and confusing! LOL Glad I could help.

B. J.

Thank you for this article I looked in the book and saw the buttons, but it did not explain clearly what the button under
the glove box does. I went out and put it in the Main
position pressed the button under the steering and it was
out. You saved me a trip to a dealer far from my home.
Thanks for sharing!!

spice3d

Awesome! Your very welcome.

simon

08 Lexus RX350 tire lite came on checked ll tires for proper pressure all ok, tried reset button, nothing changed .. the lite is still on, Lexus wants 150 bux to tell me what the problem is.. I cured it with a small piece of tape..

spice3d

Simon: I’m assuming you checked the Main/2nd button, underneath the dash on the passenger side, right? So tells us more about the piece of tape…

chuck

Great and detail instructions. much appreciated.

Dion B

Thanks for posting.!!

HEMANT P.

THANKS ,useful info.I will look in to this for my RX-350 and save this info in case of such issues.

Susan

I am going to try your solution tonight. Thank you for posting it.

Matt

Thank you! This was driving me batty and the dealership couldn’t even figure it out!

spice3d

Your welcome. I was so hoping that someone could benefit from all the agony I went through to figure that out.