ASUS RT-AC88U WiFi and AirPrint wireless printer problem solution

The ASUS RT-AC88U is a pretty awesome router. However, out of the box, it’s a bit finicky if you try to print to it via WiFi or Apple’s AirPrint. It doesn’t seem to want to maintain the connection. I stumbled across this somewhat cryptic post and the suggested changes have solved my issues–at least so far. Here are the steps with a little more detail:

1. First log into the router’s settings.

2. Choose Wireless > Professional tab

3. Make the following changes:

-Modulation Scheme: Up to MCS 9 (802.11ac)
-Airtime Fairness: Disable
-Multi-User MIMO: Disable (Note that this was already disabled by default for me)
-Explicit Beamforming: Disable
-Universal Beamforming (5 GHz only): Disable

Click Apply button.

4. Each of the Bands (i.e., 2.4GHz and 5GHz) have their own independent set of settings on this page. So, change the Band and repeat Step 3.

5. Finally, change the Control Channel to a specific channel (i.e., something other than Auto). Again, apply the change for one band, change the Band setting, and apply the change for the other band.

I’m not sure what real-world impact changing these settings has on the router’s performance; however, I haven’t really noticed any significant difference…other than my printer works wireless now ;-)

Comments

Kevin

Thanks for pulling together this very helpful information – I’ve spend waay too many hours troubleshooting my wireless printer issues. I only updated the 2.4Ghz band because that’s what my printers use and it appears to be working. My router is the ASUS RT-AC5300 and my printers are a HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 and a Canon Pixma TS5120. As a bonus, this config change appears to have fixed the issues I was having with a TP Link wifi extender as well! Thanks again.

spice3d

Glad it helped Kevin.

Mike

I just wanted to say thank you for posting this! After numerous hours of tinkering and head scratching, I can now use my MX922 wirelessly! I had a feeling it was something to do with the ASUS RT-AC88U router I got about 6 months ago as it worked fine with an old Linksys router! Funny thing is, the first AC88U I had, had to be returned as it died, when I got the replacement, my MX922 miraculously started to work wirelessly again! And just recently I updated the firmware on the router and this issue came back to haunt me! Thankfully I found your post….it helped 100%! Sure wish I knew exactly what changes these settings make, anyway, thanks again!

spice3d

Your welcome Mike. I’ve got the same printer BTW :-)

Greg

Thank-You for your troubleshooting and for posting this article. I ran into the same issue with a newly installed ASUS RT-AC86U router (which replaced a NetGear Router) and a couple of Canon printers (ip8720 and MX922). This also fixed the issue where my Honeywell Wi-Fi thermostat could only connect to my guest network on this router. The Guest 2.4 network must have different settings than the regular 2.4 network.
In my case I did not need to change the Control Chanel. It was left at Auto.

spice3d

Glad I could help Greg.

MrNobody

This worked for me on my ASUS, RT-AC5300, except control channel wouldn’t allow me to take it off of auto. Can you dig in a little deeper on why this works?

spice3d