Full frame versus cropped sensor…an interesting accessment
[See also my related post: Full Frame, Cropped Sensor and Depth of Field for Dummies…like me]
Since I am toying with the idea of maybe moving to a full frame camera, I found this article very insightful. It has given me great pause in the decision. Here are some of the things I gleaned:
- Camera technology has come so far that the real world difference between full frame and cropped sensor is not very much.
- Full frame is one stop better in high ISO shooting
- Full frame is better in low light
- Full frame is better if you print large images trying to squeeze every pixel of data out of a picture you can
- Cropped sensor has a 1.5x higher pixel density on a distant subject with the same lens
I would honestly say that I would rarely benefit from the full frame’s advantages. I guess in the end, no matter what format you use, you have to buy fast quality lens.