Using custom CNAME with WordPress.com and Google Apps
If you use a custom domain with WordPress.com and Google Apps email, getting a custom URL like webmail.mydomain.com set up to access your email is confusing. It’s actually pretty simple to do and here are the steps:
- Log into Google Apps
- Scroll down to the Service Settings section and click on Email
- Under Web address, click Change URL
- Enter the CNAME in the box for the custom URL. Click Continue. (If you are new to this type of thing, in an URL like webmail.mydomain.com, “webmail” is a CNAME.
- Then, in WordPress settings choose Domains.
- In the Email/DNS column, click Edit DNS3.
- In the Custom DNS Records box, enter the record using the format: CNAME <subdomain> <URL>. An example would be “CNAME webmail GHS.GOOGLE.COM” (no quotes).
- Click Save DNS records
That should do it!